This is Storm!

A writer, a mother, a self-admitted shopaholic.
I'm just trying to live a life I'm proud of!
Aren't we all?
Check out my secondary blog for short stories and clips about health, beauty, and parenting!



Saturday, February 7, 2015

Stand Against the Worldwide Toddler Hunger Strike With These 6 Strategies!



I think I speak for just about every parent when I say that my toddler is intentionally trying to starve to death . . . or . . . something to that effect. She hasn't admitted anything yet, but I think she may be a part of some Worldwide Toddler Hunger Strike. This little girl is about as tiny as they come at almost two years old. A miniature child is cute and all, but I'm starting to worry that she's going to wither away into nothing if she doesn't start eating more!
It seems that almost every night, I watch my daughter nibble on some carrot sticks while I nibble my fingernails down to the bone and think of all the different advice I've heard from different experienced parents. Some tell me to make her stay at the table until she's finished every last bite, others tell me not to worry – kids will eat when they're hungry. Neither approach is as easy as it sounds. Do I hover over her highchair, waiving that 'one last bite' in front of her face, wrestling with her relentless attempts to escape? Or do I replace my wallet and sunglasses for a purse full of snacks, just hoping that she'll realize on her own that food is necessary for survival before she blows away at the park? It seems that either approach I take, I'm bagging up a handful of half eaten crackers and vegetables, tossing chunks of cheese and meat, and dumping countless bowls of meals that I had taken the time to prepare every night at dinner.
I had taken my daughter in for a routine checkup when her doctor pointed out that she wasn't growing and we discussed her eating habits – or lack there of. He assured me that it wasn't anything to stress over, but that I should monitor her eating more closely. He instructed me to place her on a fattening diet consisting of all the good stuff like buttered toast, buttered potatoes, buttered pasta, buttered anything with a glob of cream cheese, cottage cheese, and sour cream. Anything to load her up and kick start her growth. Well, that would have been the perfect strategy, had my daughter eaten anything that I placed before her. Pasta, bread, meats, she wanted nothing to do with. Toss her a couple celery sticks and apple slices and that little girl was as happy as could be with only a few bites of each.
So what could I do? In a desperate attempt to feed my toddler, I made just about every mistake that a parent could. I let her snack on nearly anything, including empty calories like chips and cookies. It was just comforting to know she was eating anything at all. I always had a sippy cup at the ready with milk or juice, hoping she would at least drink her nutrients. I battled with her over the last bite – sometimes even the first bite. I would bribe her. I would threaten her with notions of no candy, cookies, or juice. I would act as though I wanted her food – you know, as a type of reverse psychology – but she called my bluffs and gladly handed me her meal before she leaned as far as she could over the side, trying to fall out of her chair to get away from my pathetic groveling.
I was growing desperate, so I turned to the web! Because you can believe everything you read on the internet as opposed to real life experiences from a parent of 8! 'Cheesy smile'




The first thing I learned from my research was that most every parent faces this problem at some point. Toddlers are stubborn, opinionated, and find thrill in exercising their new found independence. Little turds.
In addition to learning that my daughter wasn't the only one engaged in the Toddler Hunger Strike Campaign, I also discovered that it's okay. Toddlers go through phases of starving and gorging. They'll eat one type of food for weeks on end and they'll deny foods that they once loved. Not only are toddlers taking advantage of their new independence, but they're diets are also based on a weekly scale – not daily, like adults. As long as your toddler is growing and has plenty of energy, then it's okay that they're not eating as much as you think they should!
Most every resource that I searched assured me that as long as she is growing at a healthy rate and she's got plenty of energy, then her eating habits shouldn't be a concern. But that's just it. My daughter wasn't growing. Sure, she had about as much energy and power of destruction as a lighting storm, but she hadn't gained a single pound in months, according to her growth charts. It was time to make a change and discreetly wean her from her loyalty to the hunger strike. After compiling a list of methods from other parents, the web, and personal experience, I'm proud to say that I've had some success! The process has been slow going, but at least it's going! If your little monster is engaged in the Worldwide Toddler Hunger Strike, then strategize with some of these wise tactics! Together, we can beat this!
  1. Most studies claim that toddlers should be eating three meals and two snacks a day. Try to time your kid's meal times with enough time in between for a small healthy snack and don't let them graze all day just to get something in their stomach! They'll be hungrier at dinner, resulting in a cleared plate and a little victory for you!
  2. Limit the amount of juices and milk they're taking in. Milk is very filling and most juices are loaded with sugars and preservatives that can ruin a child's appetite. My daughter won't touch water unless it comes from Mommy's water bottle, which results in more slobber and backwash than I can mentally handle. To make sure my toddler is getting plenty of water, I'll add a splash of juice for flavor into her sippy cup. It may seem deceiving, but hey, a momma's gotta do what a momma's gotta do.
  3. It's a commonly known fact that children find comfort in routine and familiarity. A set schedule for meal times will make it easier on your child to understand that play time is over and it's time to eat. Just like yesterday, just like every day before, and just like tomorrow.
  4. Children want to be a part of the group. One of the big kids. They're more likely to eat when they see Mom and Dad eating the same thing at the same time, especially if they're older siblings are doing it as well. Family meals are just about the only time my daughter will eat until her plate is completely clean. She'll join in on the conversation with her adorable babbling, she'll use a napkin, and she'll stay seated until everyone else is finished.
  5. If you're child is a picky eater, offer them multiple foods to chose from. I ask my daughter if she wants a whole list of meals before she finally picks one and that's okay. She takes pride in her independent decision and she's more willing to finish her dinner because she was the one who chose it all on her own.
  6. Doctors advise against threatening or bribing for many reasons. Meal times can turn into a power struggle, your toddler may find your pleading amusing and will continue the nightly act for attention, and your child may begin to resent meal times due to the stress and cookie related punishments. Let your toddler decide when they're done. They'll learn that an unfinished meal will only leave them hungry.
If none of these methods work for you at first, stick with them! It's all about routine. I know it's easier to hand them a bowl of Gold Fish Crackers when they leave they're pasta untouched, but you're only stifling your toddler's potential to establish healthy eating habits. If you're just too worried that they're not getting enough calories and nutrients, then snag a pack of PediaSure next time you're at the grocery store. My daughter starts each day with one of those. Not only are they healthy and fattening, but they're also delicious! In addition to the methods listed above and the PediaSure, I make sure my daughter's meal and snack options are both nutritional and filling. My suggested snacks are carrot sticks, cheese and crackers, granola bars, mixed vegetables, fruits, and cottage cheese. It took some experimenting to find what my daughter prefers, but I take comfort in the fact that even though she barely touched her dinner tonight, she had a sufficient source of nutrients through out the day.

Do you have any other successful methods in fighting the Toddler Hunger Strike? If so, I'd love to hear them! We solo-parents will take all the advice that we can get! Good luck and happy parenting!


No comments:

Post a Comment